Harishchandra Gadh is one of the highest forts near Mumbai, Maharashtra. This mighty fortress has multiple access routes such as Junnar Gate Route, Sadar Ghat, Narichi Wat, and Indore Vat.
His Nageshwar temple, Harishchandreshwar temple, and Kedareshwar cave carvings in Khireshwar village indicate the fortress’ medieval origin as it is associated with Shaiva, Shakta, or Naas. The fortress then came under the Mughal rule. Conquered by the Marathas in 1747. Major Fort Attractions: Sapta Tirta Pushkarini, Kedareshwar Cave, Konkan Kada – Konkan Cliff, Taramati Peak, Harishchandreshwar Temple.
You can also checkout other cool treks in the region like Kalsubai Trek, which is also a very popular trek in the region.
Places to visit in Harishchandragad Trek
An overhanging Konkan Kada(cliff) that offers a majestic view of the Konkan region, Kada means cliff in Marathi. It is a standing tall natural wall that has a concave structure. Because of this structure, you can experience many natural phenomena such as vertical cloud bursts, circular rainbows also called a Brocken specter.
The clouds nearing the cliff get sucked into the pitfall area below and thrown vertically into the sky. This creates the impression of a vertical cloud burst. You must not miss the grand view of the valley during the sunset.
The historical spots near Harishchandragad trek
Harishchandragad trek has many temples that all represent different cultures starting from the 6th century. Harishchandreshwar temple is the best example of the fine art of carving sculptures on stones, of ancient India. This temple has been carved out of a single huge rock.
Kedareshwar cave is located near the Harishchandra temple. It has a big Shiva Linga surrounded by water. It is very difficult to reach the center as the water inside will be cold always.
Saptateertha Pushkarni is located near the Harishchandreshwar temple. There used to be idols of Lord Vishnu inside the temple-like structure that are on the bank of the lake.
Naneghat region from Taramati peak
Taramati peak is also called Taramanchi. It is located atop of Harishchandragad plateau. From there you can see the Naneghat region and other forts near Murbad.
Things to carry
- 2/3 liters of water
- Suitable face mask or shield
- Trekking shoes for better grip and comfort while hiking
- A good flashlight with extra batteries
- Dried fruit / Dry snacks / Energy Bar
- Glucon D / ORS / Tongue / Gatorade Pouch
- Daypack 20-30 liters
- Sun Hat and Sunscreen
- Personal First Aid and Medications
- Proof of Identity / Bugs / Spikes
- Covid Safety Guidelines
- Please improve your minimum fitness level before planning. Most of us have stayed home since the lockdown. Please advise Treks and Trails India of your actual medical condition when registering for the
- Wear a three-layer mask N95. Carry a spare disposable mask with you. Ensure all attendees, leaders, staff, and members of the public are wearing masks before interacting with them.
- Hand washing, carry a sanitizer bottle and clean your hands before touching food or objects.
- Face wears a cover-up full-sleeved shirt and trousers, hiking boots, a hat, and a mask over her bandana. Covering up can reduce your exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Please bring food and water along with necessary cuts such as mugs, forks and spoons. Mugs can be used for cooking, eating and drinking water. Carry a reusable water bottle. Please do not share with others.
- Cooperate with temperature measurement, symptom interpretation, and oxygen check. These are done to limit the spread of the virus. All these checks are performed several times during the activity.
- Do not register for events or travel if you have been in contact with someone infected with Covid19 in the last 14 days
- Those who have symptoms such as fever, dry cough, weakness, and body pain at the time of examination. You cannot participate in the event. They have to be evacuated for health reasons and should report to the nearest health center.
- Keep at least 2 meters distance when sleeping at night. If you can’t keep your distance, sleep back and forth and keep your face away.
- Please take your rubbish back to town and throw it in the trash can,
- Alcohol, tobacco, pan masala, tobacco and drugs should be avoided. They spit, and urinate, cause a lot of secondhand smoke and can be harmful to the general public.
- Always avoid touching new surfaces or touching your mask or face.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, change locations or be prepared to wait for less crowds.
- Participant Trekking If her leader tests positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the activity. We need to be transparent and notify Treks and Trails India. It helps everyone else to isolate and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails work together to manage the situation.
- Carry Personal Gear
The trek takes about nine hours, but it’s worth the effort once you reach your final destination, Harishchandragadh Fort. The view from the top is amazing and exceptional. From the top, you can see several mountains and spectacular valleys.
The temperature at the summit is cool and mild, but if you want to enjoy more and wanted to see the white beauty of this place then the winter season is the best. The fog all around makes this place even more spectacular.
This place will amaze you and cherish the memories for a lifetime. It’s a very unexplored place. Definitely visit this place for an unforgettable experience and a great weekend.
Checkout: More Awesome Content